Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rainy Day Passtime and Generation Gap

Our rainy day event today was Cranium. I was invited to play with the 5 other guys hanging out at my house today. Josiah and I have been Pictionary partners before and we SMOKED the other teams so....today we partnered up again....and WON again!!
But I must say, it is pretty funny for a 45 year old to play with 16 and 17 year olds.

For example, my partner had NO IDEA who "The Fonz" was when I kept saying "eeehhhhh" with my thumbs up in the air. And Elijah had to guess Ed McMahon by Vance getting him to guess "Ed" from a current cartoon and "McMahon" from Vance humming "Old MACDONALD". Somehow he knew Ed McMahon's name enough to pull it off. Maybe it was his recent brush with the news when his house went into foreclosure??? Either way...he knew the name but had not a clue as to what had made him famous.

John Wayne proved to be a difficult person for the "younger generation" to describe as well. No one knew his famous line "Well I gotta tell ya, little pilgrim." They only knew him from his name being mentioned in a recent Jackie Chan movie.

None of these examples gave me an advantage because my partner was a 17 year old.

But it was a day full of good clean fun and lots of laughs!

Especially for this old fart.......

1 comment:

Jayne said...

That's too funny Jackie! Nothing like playing with a bunch of teens to make us feel reeeealllly old, now is there?

My hubby always reads the birthdays each day in the paper, and when he told me Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) from Gilligan's Island is now 70, I about choked on my cereal. Hey, and Mick Jagger? Now, eligible for Medicare. Gulp. ACK!